Tuesday 28 January 2014

Muli Bwanji

All Malawians learn English in school as well as the local language of Chi’chewa. I ensured I learned a few simple phrases such as hello, thank you and goodbye. My favourite is “Muli Bwanji” which translates to “How are you?” The look on the locals’ faces when I speak Chi’chewa is priceless.

After our time in Mzimba, we were heading further north to Karonga. Malawi is a beautiful country. Because it is rainy season, everything is so lush and green.
























We had a gorgeous drive through Mzuzu and on to the lake road. We saw baboons and monkeys. There were women and children selling mangos on the side of the road so I asked to stop for some. I bought a full bag for 100 Malawian Kwacha (or 25 cents).






























The funniest thing happened. While we were driving Ezekiel and I were trading stories about Canada and Malawi. I asked him what the speed limit on the main highway was and if it is enforced. He stated that outside of the trading areas the speed limit is 100 km/h but it is not strongly enforced. However, in the trading areas the speed limit is reduced to 50 km/hr. Not more than an hour later, we get pulled over by a speed trap.... I had to laugh at him for the coincidence. 



No comments:

Post a Comment